MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, German
(active in 1220s)
Angels' Pillar (detail)1225-30
The Angels' Pillar is located in the interior of the south transept. An octagonal pillar with attached columns bears figures comprising a Judgment program. In the lower zone stand the four Evangelists, holding scrolls, on plinths shaped like capitals in the form of buds, with baldachins above their heads. In the middle zone four angels sound their trumpets for the Last Judgment. In the uppermost zone, Christ presides, accompanied by angels holding the instruments of the Passion.
The picture shows the middle zone: angels with trumpets.