(active 1010-1033 in Hildesheim)
St. Michael, Hildesheim
Ottonian architecture reached a peak in the former Benedictine monastery church of St. Michael in Hildesheim. In 996 the Hildesheim Bishop Bernward, a keen patron of the arts, brought Benedictines from Cologne to Hildesheim and in 1010 began the construction of a church dedicated to St. Michael. It is assumed that the bishop himself participated in the planning of the church. The edifice experienced severe destruction in the Second World War, and today's structure is the result of the post-war rebuilding.
The photo shows a view of the choir with side apses and transept turrets.
View the ground plan of St. Michael, Hildesheim.