(active 1081-1137 in Mainz)
Cathedral of St. Martin and St. Stephan, Mainz
The cathedral at Mainz, a basilica with a nave, aisles and groin vaults, was built in 1081 under Emperor Henry IV. The old cathedral had burnt down in 1081, the new structure was consecrated in 1137. The appearance of the Salian western end of the cathedral is not known. At the east end the nave terminates in a semi-circular apse, whilst the aisles have flat ends with flanking stair turrets from the first cathedral. In front of the apse is built a square bay surmounted by a sail vault. This appears as a tower on the exterior of the building.
The photo shows an exterior view from the east.
View the ground plan of Mainz Cathedral.