(active mid-11th century in Essen)
View of the western apsec. 1050
The former collegiate church Sts. Cosmas and Damian (now the Cathedral) was begun at the end of the tenth century and consecrated in the middle of the eleventh century. While the west block from the Ottonian period has remained intact, the nave was converted into a hall church. Even if the exterior gives the appearance of a westwork, it is in reality a west choir, the end of a church nave or aisle. This is a new feature: the combination of the westwork and the west choir. In this case the west block encloses the west choir, whose interior elevation is modeled on the octagon of the Palatine church at Aachen.