(active early 11th century in Emilia-Romagna)
Exterior viewfounded 1008
Monastery church and baptistery, Vigolo Marchese (Emilia-Romagna)
At Vigolo Marchese, beside the abbey church of San Giovanni stands the circular baptistery of the same name, adopting its plan from the Orthodox Baptistery at Ravenna, from San Vitale, Ravenna, and possibly from the round-planned Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The bell tower, like its numerous counterparts throughout Romanesque Italy, combine multiple stories of Romanesque blind arches and pilasters with the square plan made famous by the eight-century belfry of Old St. Peter's.