(active around 1089 in Bari)
Exterior view from the north-westbegun 1089
San Nicola, Bari (Puglia)
San Nicola at Bari is the oldest large-scale monument of the region. It appears more Lombard in its design than Byzantine with links in layout an interior details to Pisan and Florentine architecture as well. The patrons of the church were the Normans who had arrived at the shores of Puglia from their recently established Duchy of Normandy by 1041. They transported the remains of St Nicholas from Asia Minor in 1087 and they began his church two years later. They applied to the façade a triple division adopted from Lombard churches such as San Zeno in Modena. Its vertical proportions, steep roof and two flanking towers link it to eleventh-century Norman churches. It is the interior where the Tuscan influence is evident.
View the ground plan of San Nicola, Bari.