(active c. 1130 in Alsace)
View of the east partsc. 1130
Former monastery church, Murbach, Alsace
This monastery church is one of the greatest achievements of late Salian architecture. The nave and aisles were demolished in the eighteenth century; the eastern parts which adjoined them still stand today. The main choir and side chancels both end with a flat termination typical of the Upper Rhine, and square towers are built above the transept wings.
The east choir of Murbach is truly monumental in its effect. Particularly splendid and of monumental effect is the accurately layered ashlar or square hewn masonry. Originating in Burgundy. it is one of the earliest examples of its kind in Germany.