(active after 1481 in Alentejo)
Interior viewbegun 1481
San Francisco, Évora
This Franciscan church of the late 15th century was founded by Joao II (1481-1495). It anticipates the spatial forms of the 16th century. Its broad nave flanked by side chapels is enclosed by a continuous pointed barrel vault with intersecting groins. This pulling together of the interior as a unified whole was a process completed by the Italian architect Vignola in the church of the Gesù in Rome, the foundation building for the Jesuits that became a model for Baroque church interiors everywhere.
The photo shows the nave.