Panels from the Griffoni Polyptych (1473)
by Francesco del COSSA

The Griffoni Polyptych was executed for honouring St Vincent Ferrer whose cult had begun after his canonization in 1458. The altarpiece was executed for the Griffoni Chapel of the San Petronio in Bologna.

The reconstruction of the polyptych, dismembered in the 18th century, is not unambiguous. It seems certain that the central panel was the painting of St Vincent Ferrer while on his sides were St Peter and St John the Baptist. Paintings of St Lucy and St John the Baptist were probably located on the upper part of the sides while a Crucifixion tondo was in the upper central position. The predella and other panels were executed by Ercole de' Roberti.


Preview Picture Data Info
Griffoni Polyptych: St Vincent Ferrer
1473
Oil on panel, 153 x 60 cm
National Gallery, London


Griffoni Polyptych: St Peter and St John the Baptist
1473
Oil on panel, 112 x 55 cm (each)
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan


Griffoni Polyptych: St John the Baptist
1473
Oil on panel, 112 x 55 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan


Griffoni Polyptych: St Peter and St John the Baptist (details)
1473
Oil on panel
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan


St Peter
1473
Tempera and gold on panel, 112 x 55 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan


Griffoni Polyptych: Saint Florian (detail)
after 1470
Oil on panel
National Gallery of Art, Washington


Griffoni Polyptych: St Lucy
1473
Oil on panel, 79 x 56 cm
National Gallery of Art, Washington


Griffoni Polyptych: The Crucifixion
1473
Oil on panel, diameter 63 cm
National Gallery of Art, Washington


Griffoni Polyptych: The Crucifixion (detail)
after 1470
Panel
National Gallery of Art, Washington


Griffoni Polyptych: The Crucifixion (detail)
after 1470
Panel
National Gallery of Art, Washington





© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.