Reliefs on the Campanile, Florence
by Andrea PISANO

The foundation stone of the new campanile of Florence Cathedral was laid in April 1334. The lower third of the tower was built according to Giotto's plans, and the lower section of the socle and the first floor were carried out under his direction to 1337, but the remaining sections were built from 1337 to 1341 under Andrea Pisano (the middle and upper levels completed by 1359, by Francesco Talenti). According to the account of the contemporary Antonio Pucci, Andrea was dismissed after attempting to deviate from Giotto's plan, which suggests that he was not an architect.

Both levels of the socle were decorated with reliefs, in a coherent iconographic programme. The lower register (originally with the exception of the north side) bore reliefs with three scenes from Genesis followed by the 'discoverers of the crafts' (Ghiberti), while cycles of the Planets, Virtues, the Liberal Arts, and the Seven Sacraments decorated the upper socle register. Directly above were sixteen life-size statues of Sibyls, David, Solomon, Moses, and Prophets in niches, eight of which were made in the 14th century. Giotto would have provided the designs for the sculptures (except for the Sacrament reliefs), apparently with the help of Andrea, but the Cathedral Works seem to have employed eight different sculptors, including Andrea and his son Nino, for their execution.

Preview Picture Data Info
Campanile
1350s
Photo
Duomo, Florence


Detail of the Campanile
-
Photo
Duomo, Florence



Works by Andrea PISANO
South doors of the Baptistery
Reliefs on the Campanile
| west side | south side | east side | north side |
Various works



© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.