AGUADO LÓPEZ, Antonio
(b. 1764, Sangüesa, d. 1831, Sangüesa)

Biography

Spanish architect. Disciple of Juan de Villanueva, he studied in the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando, being pensioned to continue its formation in Italy and in France. In 1795 he was appointed member of the Commission of Architecture of the Academy, as well as professor in the same one. In 1799 he was appointed Lieutenant Director of Architecture and finally in 1805 Director of Architecture.

Most of his production is in Madrid where in 1814 he was named Master Mayor, equivalent to that of municipal architect. Here he made numerous works for King Ferdinand VII. The Puerta de Toledo (1816-17) and the project of the Teatro Real were designed by him. Of the latter, the construction was started by Aguado López in 1818 but it lasted until 1850, and was completed by Isidro González Velázquez.

He participated in the design of what is now El Capricho Park, in Alameda de Osuna, where he built, among other buildings, the Ballroom (1815), with an octagonal plan. He also worked in the refurbishment of the Villanueva building for the Fernandino Museum (1814-1831), in what would later be the Prado Museum. Other works are the palace of the Duke of Villahermosa (the building that currently houses the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum in Madrid), and the Palace of Fernán Núñez.