ALOISIO DA CARCANO
(active 1493-1516 in Russia)

Biography

Italian architect, also known by several other names such as Aloisio da Caresana, Aloisio da Milano, Aleviz Milanets and Aleviz Fryazin. He was active in Russia. He came to Moscow in 1494 at the invitation of Ivan III to replace Pietro Antonio Solari as a senior court architect responsible for fortifications and palaces. In 1495, he rebuilt the walls and towers of the Moscow Kremlin along the Neglinnaya River.

In 1499-1508, he constructed a few stone chambers, which today constitute the first three floors of the Terem Palace. In 1508-1616, he also dug a moat (later dubbed the Alevizov moat in his honour) along the Kremlin wall on the side of the Red Square, covered with limestone and bricks. It was filled up in the 19th century.

Aloisio da Carcano also constructed a dam on the Neglinnaya River in 1508 and a bridge over it in 1516.