HILD, József
(b. 1789, Pest, d. 1867, Pest)

Biography

Hungarian architect, one of the leading exponents of Neoclassical architecture in Hungary. He was the son of the Bohemian construction engineer János Hild (died 1811), active in Hungary.

Hild was first an apprentice to his father, later he continued his training at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts. In 1816 Hild traveled to Italy, where he studied Italian and Roman architecture. He returned to Pest (now Budapest) in 1820 and started his own business. His Neoclassical style contributed greatly to the architectural development of Pest in the reform period, and many hundreds of his designs survive.

Among the most important of his designs were the buildings on Roosevelt (formerly Kirakodó) Square (no longer standing), the Diana baths (1822), the Libaschinszky-Koburg Palace (1825), the Lloyd Palace (1827; destroyed in World War II), the Nákó Palace (1833), the Ullmann Palace, and the Wieser House (1833). It was in accordance with his designs that construction began on St. Stephen's Basilica in Pest in 1848 (it was completed by Miklós Ybl in 1905), and he also designed the Eger Basilica (1831-36) and Szatmárnémeti (now Satu Mare, Romania). One of the most notable of his large-scale ecclesiastical works was the reconstruction of the new Esztergom Cathedral (1840-56). Other prominent designs include the Cziráky Palace (later the National Casino), the Marczibányi Palace, the Károlyi-Trattner House (former home of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences and still on Peõfi Sándor street in Budapest), the Maria Theresa barracks, the Hild villa, the Esztergom library, the imperial baths, and the castles of Bajna, Gyömrõ, and Tápiószentmárton.

He was the teacher of Frigyes Feszl (1821-1884).