JACOPO DI CIONE
(b. ca. 1325, Firenze, d. ca. 1399, Firenze)

Biography

Italian painter, part of a family of artists. He was the brother of Andrea di Cione (called Orcagna), Nardo di Cione and Matteo di Cione (1330-1380). In 1366-67 he was to decorate the vault of a large chamber in the guildhall of the judges and notaries (destroyed), Florence. In the same period Jacopo probably created the altarpiece with the Crucifixion (1366-68; London, National Gallery), although the execution of the outer groups of figures and the mounted groups was left to Simone, a collaborator.

As a result of his brother Andrea's illness, Jacopo took over some of his commissions. The painting of the Virgin (destroyed) in the audience chamber of the capitani of the confraternity of Orsanmichele was begun by Andrea, and on 9 June 1368 Jacopo guaranteed to complete it. In 1368 Jacopo also received the commission that had originally been awarded to Andrea for the altarpiece of St Matthew (Florence, Uffizi) for a pier altar in Orsanmichele. The work is characterized by a predominance of flat surfaces and gold ground and lacks any illusion of corporeal, spatial reality. During this work, on 12 January 1369, Jacopo enrolled in the Arte dei Medici e Speziali; in 1384, 1387 and 1392 he was one of the consuls of the guild.