JEAN DE LIÈGE
(active 1361-1381)

Biography

French sculptor of Flemish origin, also known as Hennequin de Liège. he is not to be confused with a Franco-Flemish sculptor of the same name, working in Dijon. He was a past master in his native region in funerary art, and appeared in Paris in 1361, collaborating on the execution of a statue of Jeanne de Bretagne for the chapel of the Dominicans in Orléans. His prestige evidently grew rapidly, since in 1364 he worked for the king on the great staircase of the Louvre, where he was responsible for the statues of the king and queen. Afterwards he built the tomb of the heart of Charles V for the choir of Rouen Cathedral. This marked the beginning of a continuous activity in the service of the king until his death in 1381.

After his spell at the Louvre, Jean de Liège appears in the English accounts, and, in around 1367, carried out for Westminster Abbey the tomb of Philippa of Hainaut, wife of Edward III. The artist's brief visit to England probably did not leave an impression on his art, since it was already fully formed.

Around 1370-72 he carved the tomb effigies for the entrails of Charles IV and Jeanne d'Evreux at the latter's request for the abbey of Maubuisson, near Pontoise. The inventory of property made after his death provides evidence of the great number of provisions given to him.