San Clemente: Façade1652
Church of San Clemente, Isola di San Clemente
In 1652 Francesco and Tommaso Morosini commissioned Cominelli to restore the facade of the Church of San Clemente on the Isola di San Clemente. He included busts of Morosini family members above the portal, and their coat of arms. He also added statues of Saint Benedict and Saint Romuald, and a Madonna and cherub. The facade includes reliefs of scenes from battles commemorating the Morosini's victories in the war against the Turks. He is thought to have himself made the sculptures of the two brothers Morosini and of the two saints.