OCAMPO, Andrés de
(b. ca. 1550, Villacarrillo, Jaén, d. 1623, Sevilla)

The Béjar Crucifix

1581-85
Gilt and polychromed wood, height 230 cm (overall)
Private collection

This crucifix originates from the chapel of the ducal palace of El Bosque, a large country house built for Don Francisco de Zuniga y Sotomayor, 4th Duke of Béjar and Plasencia, and his wife Brianda Sarmiento de la Cerda in the town of Béjar near Salamanca. Characteristic features are the angular pectoral muscles, mirrored by the outline of the lower edge of the rib cage, and the overall muscular build.