The return of Cosimo de' Medici to Florence in 1434 enabled the Dominicans, of whom he had long been a patron, to secure for themselves the ruined convent of San Marco. Its rebuilding began in 1437, and its decoration very soon after. The San Marco frescoes were intended not as means of instruction, still less as decoration, but as aids to contemplation and meditation. The brother who inhabited each cell was to have constantly before his eyes a vivid yet chaste reminder of one of the events in the life of Christ.
Executed between 1438 and 1443, the works for San Marco comprised the most extensive surviving programme of decoration for a religious community. It included the high altarpiece, nearly fifty monumental frescoes for the cloister, Chapter House and dormitory cells, as well as illuminated choir books for the celebration of Mass. These paintings translated the brilliant spiritual, intellectual and visual culture of the Dominican Order for diverse constituencies, from its patrons and parishioners to the community of friars, novices, and lay brothers who lived within its walls.
![]() Johann Sebastian Bach: Easter Oratorio, BWV 249 |
![]() |
Summary of paintings by Fra Angelico |
Altarpieces |
San Domenico | Prado | Linaioli | Last Judgment | Annunciation |
Cortona Triptych | Perugia | San Marco | Trinitŕ | Various |
Frescoes |
Convent of San Marco: cells, others | Cappella Niccolina |
Other works |
Armadio degli Argenti | Various panels | Miscellaneous |