Murals in the Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome (2nd-3rd centuries)

The Catacombs of San Callisto, located along the Via Appia Antica, were built after AD 150, with some private Christian hypogea and a funeral area directly dependent on the Catholic Church. It takes its name from the deacon Saint Callixtus, proposed by Pope Zephyrinus on his accession as pope. The Pope enlarged the complex, that soon became the official one for the Roman Church. The arcades, where more than fifty martyrs and sixteen pontiffs were buried, form part of a complex graveyard that occupies fifteen hectares and is almost 20 km long.

The catacombs are most notable for containing the Crypt of the Popes (Italian: Cappella dei Papi), which once contained the tombs of several popes from the 2nd to 4th centuries.

Preview Picture Data File Info Comment
Interior view
after 150
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

827*1000
True Color
227 Kb



Wall decoration
3rd century
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

1300*1154
True Color
251 Kb



Eucharistic Fish and Loaves
3rd century
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

1150*785
True Color
247 Kb



Orants
3rd century
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

1300*1265
True Color
248 Kb



Orants (detail)
3rd century
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

1200*900
True Color
100 Kb



The Good Shepherd
3rd century
Fresco
Catacombs of St Callixtus, Rome

889*1500
True Color
236 Kb




Catacomb paintings
Domitilla | Marcellinus and Peter | Priscilla
Callixtus | Via Latina | Others in Rome