The Pulpit for the Cathedral in Prato
by DONATELLO

The Pulpit for the exterior façade of the Cathedral in Prato, begun in 1428 and after long pauses finished ten years later, was executed by Donatello together with Pagno di Lapo and Michelozzo. Donatello was responsible for the architecture and the putti, whose joyous movements suggest a vital force that was to reach its zenith in the Cantoria for the Cathedral of Florence. Presently displayed in the Museum of the Opera del Duomo of Prato, the low relief tablets on the pulpit have been replaced on the outside with copies.

Preview Picture Data File Info Comment
Pulpit
1428-38
Marble, mosaic, bronze, wood, height ca. 210 cm (without canopy)
Cathedral, Prato

1100*1279
True Color
200 Kb



Pulpit (detail)
1428-38
Marble on mosaic background, 74 x 79 cm (each relief)
Cathedral, Prato

1369*1100
True Color
189 Kb



Pulpit (detail)
1428-38
Marble on mosaic background, 74 x 79 cm
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Prato

1269*1000
True Color
206 Kb




Summary of sculptures by Donatello
Early works
John XXIII | David | Duomo | Orsanmichele | Siena | Various
Mature works
Cantoria | Basilica di Santo | Prato Pulpit | San Lorenzo | Various
Late works
Judith and Holofernes | Pulpits of San Lorenzo | Various